QUALITY ASSURANCE ENGINEER
Our client, Irving Shipbuilding Inc., is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Coast Guard.
As part of Irving Shipbuilding’s modernization program, it is building a world-class manufacturing facility, and developing best practice processes and procedures to align with this new facility. One particular area of focus is making a step-change in the level and content of the Quality Control work that it does.
In order to implement this change, it will be developing and building an internal Quality Control capability. The immediate focus will be to develop the necessary processes, methods and procedures for work-in-process inspections. The longer term focus will be to train and develop the workforce so that it can move toward a self-checking system that fully engages the workforce in accountability for the quality of its work products.
• Develop and implement methods and procedures for work-in-process inspection
• Develop process control documentation, including the needs of both the internal and external customer
• Develop appropriate steps to maintain and/or improve engineering processes
• Monitor and trend engineering quality metrics as part of a daily management program that includes daily, weekly and project level metrics
• Establish shipyards target levels for quality metrics based on industry standards
• Lead the resolution of quality issues in engineering, including the use of root cause analysis and contingency plans as appropriate
• Educate and train the workforce in best practices needed to maintain quality work in the engineering process
• Participate in continuous improvement projects in the area of engineering quality
• Alongside Technical Authority, interpret and implement customer specifications and regulatory requirements
• Perform audits of in process work to ensure compliance with documented shipyard engineering processes
• Post-Secondary Degree in Engineering is mandatory
• Eligible for registration with Engineers Nova Scotia
• Minimum of 5-8 years relevant experience in Naval marine environment. Oil & Gas and Aerospace sector experience could also be considered
• Knowledge of working with a Government and Naval customer base
• Proven ability to achieve high performance levels in a complex fast moving environment
• Ability to work independently, set priorities which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities, and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
• Proven ability to work with various levels of the organization, from first line personnel to the executive team.
• Ability to manage through teamwork and influence, as well as gain commitment
• Solid communication skills, both verbal and written
To apply, please forward your resume via email to Steven Love at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com