Full-Time Team Leader, CSC Electrical Power Systems
Our client, Irving Shipbuilding Inc., part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies has an opening for a Team Leader, CSC Electrical Power Systems. Irving Shipbuilding is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
The Team Leader, CSC Electrical Power Systems is responsible for engineering activities relating to electrical power systems for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Project at Irving Shipbuilding Inc. The Team Leader, Electrical Power Systems will report to the Engineering Manager, CSC Electrical Systems.
• Lead and supervise staff and embedded contractors in the CSC Electrical Power Systems Team with focus on coordination of team activities and mentoring junior team members
• Lead development of CSC electrical power systems design processes and procedures
• Lead definition of platform systems electrical power systems including, electric power generation plants, power conversion equipment, power distribution systems, emergency power systems, casualty power systems, switchgear and panels, grounding, lighting systems, and related power systems equipment and material requirements
• Facilitate and oversee subcontractor development of design deliverables and technical purchase specifications relating to electrical power systems
• Participate in Integrated Product Teams in support of development of the CSC design
• Lead the review of electrical power systems content in technical design reviews
• Participate in negotiations with equipment and material vendors
• Assist in developing and implementing test plans and procedures and requirements verification tracking
• Lead the final project close out of all documentation updates and development of user manuals relating to electrical power systems
• Develop and foster client and subcontractor(s) relationships
• Support change management relating to the Electrical Power Team areas of responsibility
• Address risk items relating to the Electrical Power Systems Team areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning
• Assist upper management in making, sound sustainability decisions in all phases of the ship acquisition lifecycle
• Interface with shipyard production and planning teams to ensure the electrical power systems design products adequately reflect facility limitations, capabilities, and build methodology
• Propose design and process improvements related to vessel producability, shipyard safety, and production performance
Successful Candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Academically qualified as an engineer with a recognized Engineering Degree able to eventually achieve a Professional Engineer designation in Nova Scotia, Canada
• Seven plus years of design and integration experience with marine electrical power systems
• Two plus years leading or managing technical teams including team member task work assignments
• Experience in many aspects of marine electrical power systems, including electric power generation plants, power conversion equipment, power distribution systems, emergency power systems, casualty power systems, switchgear and panels, grounding, lighting systems, and related power systems equipment and materials
• Experience preparing electrical load analysis
• Experience designing electrical distribution systems including single line diagrams.
• Experience defining performance and environmental requirements for electrical equipment and systems
• Experience preparing technical specifications for equipment and material purchase
• Experience developing and implementing test plans and procedures for electrical systems
• Experience with electrical system testing and trouble shooting
• Strong personal time management skills
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing
Successful Candidate is desired to possess the following qualifications:
• Experience working on naval ship design, commercial shipbuilding , or other large military procurement program
• Electrical marine propulsion experience including electrical generators, medium voltage (MV) distribution, large scale power electronics, and electric propulsion motors
• Experience preparing technical specifications for the purchase of electrical power generation plants.
• Experience working with classification society rules and classification societies to achieve plan approval for shipboard marine electrical systems and equipment
• Experience preparing calculations and reviewing subcontractor calculations
• Experience with electrical cable management and routing
• Experience with naval areas of shock and ship signatures and the impacts on electrical systems design
• Experience with system design for redundancy, distributed systems, and graceful degradation to support system and ship survivability
• Experience working within an Integrated Business Management Environment (IBME) that includes an integrated suite of software customized for design and construction including 3D modeling software, catalogue management, planning, and construction management
• Experience interfacing and working with subcontractors
• Experience working in an Integrated Product Team (IPT) work structure
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
For a confidential exchange of information, please contact Denise Fullerton at 506-852-8042 or email your resume for review to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.